[SL4] T.M.S.

From: Marc Forrester (A1200@mharr.f9.co.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 13:33:49 MST

From: Marc Forrester <A1200@mharr.f9.co.uk>

The current New Scientist has an article on Transcranial Magnetic
Stimulation, a technology for triggering or scrambling areas of the
conscious brain, currently being used as a psychological research tool.

It seems to me that there are some other possibilities for it.
The ability to temporarily switch off selected parts of your own
brain is a clear case of Algernon's law in action, but intelligently
applied it would be a very powerful intelligence booster. An example
given in the article is that by suppressing an area of the visual
system triggered by motion, the subject becomes more perceptive of
the shapes and colours of moving objects. There is also obvious
potential for blocking out inconvenient emotions and selecting
states of consciousness.

It ends with a warning about the potential for 'unauthorised' research.
Hell, yes. With one of these and an MRI map of my head, I'd start on
myself tonight. Where do people get the idea that everything must be
illegal until 'authorised' by some government office? I'll have a
root around for detailed TMS plans over the week end.

Finding a sweetheart is hard work. Shopping for one shouldn't be.
Click here for Valentine Surprises.