[SL4] What I'm Doing

From: Greg A (greg.a@facttechnologies.com)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 03:11:36 MDT

OK.

I just tried to compose a message to sum the Big Idea up neatly, and after
about 1200 words I realized that it was ridiculous to think that I could
just rattle off a short version of it unless you all had the same background
as me.

That means the explanation is going to be long... REALLY long (in the
Yudkowsky sense... just kidding, Eliezer). It also means that it's going to
be necessary if we're going to get the world interested at all. You all have
to understand it as well as I do for it to sound like anything other than
more-of-the-same .com marketing hype.

To me, if I'm right, this breakthrough represents the discovery of a New
World in much the same way the Americas did in 15th century -- it's awfully
big to miss, we won't be able to imagine why we didn't come across it
sooner, and it takes one crazy dude to be that far out there in the first
place. :)

On a more practical level, it's like the discovery of the America's because
there's plenty of room for everyone who wants to come over, and
near-limitless wealth to be had by those with the courage to do so.

I was in a big rush to get the idea out because this seems like the kind of
thing that more than one person "discovers" at approximately the same time,
and I don't want anyone trying to control this knowledge. Attempting to
patent this idea would be impractical, anyway, and it would probably array
the entire existing computing industry against us. Better to point, yell,
and run as fast as we can to stake out the best spots ahead of the crowd.

I'll be busy the next couple days, but part of what I have to do is get most
of the company caught up with what I'm talking about. To do that, I have to
tell the whole story from the beginning, and I'll be prepared to share it
with you guys when I'm done explaining it inside corporate walls.

To avoid the speculation getting too wild, this really isn't all that
amazing in the sense of anything magical or other-worldly. Just a semi-novel
insight and some practical applications of it.

Nonetheless, the impact on society should be extraordinary.

Try not to pay too much attention to the marketing we'll be spouting this
week. It's hyper-hype so that we can be perceived as a signal against
background industry marketing noise. It will mostly be designed for
linguistic shock effect to pave the way for a new perspective using what
I've started to call "assault memes."

Wish me luck, gentlemen. I'll get back to you soon.

Sincerely,

Greg A

P.S. If anyone objects to me discussing this topic here, I am happy to move
it to a private email list forum. Let me know.

Greg A
Chief Executive Officer
Fact Technologies LLC
Giving Business A Mind Of Its Own.(TM)