[SL4] Al Gore's unintended messages.

From: Mark Plus (markplus@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 20:46:29 MDT

Al Gore during his acceptance speech tonight sent me a couple of unintended
messages as he contributed his share to the Democrats' parade of victimized
Americans.

Around 19:10 PST he pointed out an elderly woman in the audience whose only
income came from Social Security, and who had to spend half of this income
on medications while the evil pharmaceutical companies are allegedly making
"record profits."

Two things:

One, this woman didn't plan her life very well. (In fact, she reminds me of
my grandparents, who I could tell even as a child were improvident and thus
POOR in their old age.)  Nothing kept her from saving and investing in
equities or in real estate or in SOMETHING during her working life so that
she would have an independent wealth base and a stream of investment income
in addition to Social Security.  Gore could have used an anonymous example
of that sort to emphasize the importance of assuming responsiblity for one's
well-being in retirement, though that would of course go against the state
patronage-seeking philosophy of his party.

Two, the lesson for us younger people seems to be that we should buy shares
in these pharmaceutical companies now so that we can get their profitability
working in our favor as we build up the wealth base necessary to pay for the
radically more effective nanotech-, genomics- and stem cell-based
medications and therapies in the coming decades.  Unless, that is, Gore wins
the election and does something to screw the pharmaceutical companies out of
the rewards for the considerable entrepreneurial risks they are taking.

Trans-millennially yours,

Mark Plus, Expansionary
"Letting go of the 20th Century."

"Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind."  Ralph Waldo
Emerson, "Self-Reliance."

WWXD?
("What would Xena do?")

Affiliations: