RE: Ben's "Extropian Creed"

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@intelligenesis.net)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 07:59:58 MST

> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-sl4@sysopmind.com [mailto:owner-sl4@sysopmind.com]On Behalf
> Of Brian Atkins
> Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 12:07 AM
> To: sl4@sysopmind.com
> Subject: Re: Ben's "Extropian Creed"
>

> Samantha Atkins wrote:
> >
> > Humans will either transform or perish.

Yes, this is a very odd statement.

Donkeys after all have neither transformed nor perished. Ditto for
chinchillas, dingoes,
cassowaries, coelacanths, chimpanzees, Gila monsters, speckle-backed
mongeese,
and all kinds of other beasts, fish and fowl.

And, there is reason to suspect that humans and animals have MORE resource
competition than
humans and AI's will...

Having said that, I think it's pretty likely that humans WILL transform, not
all at once, but
gradually.... Each new generation will find one more aspect of
transhumanism to be natural rather
than bizarre and offputting....

But most likely, the transformation will be done not to avoid perishing, but
to avoid being uncool, or to ensure
placing oneself in a higher income bracket....

ben