Re: the 69 of us

From: Spudboy100@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 09:23:42 MST

This is a question more for the future. But if somebody gets uploaded, and
stays inside their fantasy world, will not insanity result? Is this why there
have been no repeated "signals" seti-wise. That civilizations join the Land
of the Lotus Eaters and forget their primate orgins. If one spends their time
as a artilectual rhomboid inside cybernetic, dimension -7, and forgets what
its like to go to a bookstore and have coffee with a friend; won't this just
serve to set us up for a bad end?

I also have been seeing some TV shows about geological events in human
history that sound like a Junior extinction event. One possibility it that if
the area around Yellow Stone national park errupts, then the bio world
changes bigtime because of lack of sunlight. Now, like in Diaspora, the
issue was cosmic and gamma rays hitting life like a hammer; I wonder if even
nano-tube networks could get messed-up, even though they are more resilient.
Whether meat or carbo-silicate life, we need to not put our eggs in one
basket, and we must stay plugged into reality somehow. A chore in itself.