RE: The inevitable limitations of all finite minds....

From: Alicia Madsen (fsadm1@uaf.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 05:44:32 MST

Well Ben, you argue that a trade-off exists between the maximization of
intelligence and wisdom in a limited universe, and said,

"What's the point of this train of thought. Really, just to concretely
demonstrate that perfection, in a finite universe, cannot exist. In its own
way, even the digital superintelligence of the future will experience similar
limitations to ours."

Do you mean perfection to be the balance of choosing whether it is best to
maximize intelligence or "mental health" (which I take from your use as
synonymous with "mindfulness" and "wisdom") in a given finite universe?
Perfection is born from an almost instinctual awareness of previous
experience, which is what we call wisdom. So I see how wisdom and perfection
are related. But the "superintelligent supermind" has more than an instinctual
awareness of the past, but possesses an intrinsic and simultaneous awareness
of the past. Therefore your argument,

"Having compressed, we no longer have access to what we originally
experienced, only to the compressed form. We have lost some information.",

does not apply.

With peace,

Alicia Madsen
fsadm1@uaf.edu