Re: dawn of neurohacks

From: Harvey Newstrom (mail@harveynewstrom.com)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 08:17:35 MST

>> Singularity.

>> Brian Atkins wrote,
>> > Wanna bet? This is the kind of thing where after a few people publicly
>> > start doing it, I bet the rest will come running to do it too. Especially
>> > if these are seen as "naturally occurring genes" that many children are
>> > simply "missing".
>>
>> I will bet anything or any amount of money on this. (Come on, make me
>> rich!)
>> 2004 is only 3 years away. We can't even get genetically engineered corn on
>> the market in a few years. I can't see human genetic engineering becoming
>> "common" in less time.
>>

>If you will accept a change in the bet, I will bet $1000. The bet will be
>that by the end of 2004, it will be fairly common (let's say 10% of people
>in the selected group) for rich (the top million people in the USA, so
>for bet to be won we need 100k people doing this in 2004) people in the USA
>to screen their potential embryos (after fertilization and say a few cell
>divisions) for the best set of "intelligence genes". This will likely be
>done in combination with testing for several other genetic markers. The
>bet may also be won if there is a total of 100k people of any class, so
>for instance if this takes off in the upper middle class but not among
>the really rich then I still win. Accept?
>--
>Brian Atkins
>Director, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence
>http://www.intelligence.org/

Sorry, no. I will not accept the changed bet. The bet I was
accepting above stated that *splicing* these genes into rich people's
pre-kids" would be common by 2004. I will bet any amount of money
against that. Your changed bet merely describes *screening* these
genes by the end of 2004. I will not bet against that.

Harvey Newstrom <HarveyNewstrom.com> <pager@HarveyNewstrom.com>
Fiderus - Strategic Security and Privacy Services <www.Fiderus.com>
Phone: 321-676-4894   Tollfree: 866-FIDERUS   Pager: 866-786-1001