Re: Jurgen Schmidhuber

From: Spudboy100@aol.com
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 15:24:00 MST

sentience@pobox.com writes:

<< People posting article references: Please include at least the title,
 rather than just the blind link. (Sorry for not stating this earlier.) >>

Ok. Here is the article title and the abstract description, (rather large!)
Please check out the last sentence of the abstract, everyone-rather curious.

http://xxx.lanl.gov/list/quant-ph/new

Title: Algorithmic Theories of Everything
Authors: Juergen Schmidhuber
Comments: 55 pages

We make the plausible assumption that the history of our universe is formally
describable, and sampled from a formally describable probability distribution
on the possible universe histories. To study the dramatic consequences for
observers evolving within such a universe, we generalize the concepts of
decidability, halting problem, Kolmogorov's algorithmic complexity, and
Solomonoff's algorithmic probability. We describe objects more random than
Chaitin's halting probability of a Turing machine, show that there is a
universal cumulatively enumerable measure (CEM) that dominates previous
measures for inductive inference, prove that any CEM must assign low
probabilities to universes without short enumerating programs, that any
describable measure must assign low probabilities to universes without short
descriptions, and several similar "Occam's razor theorems." Then we discuss
the most efficient way of computing all universes based on Levin's optimal
search algorithm, and make a natural resource-oriented postulate: the
cumulative prior probability of all objects incomputable within time t by
this optimal algorithm should be inversely proportional to t. We derive
consequences for inductive inference, physics, and philosophy, predicting
that whatever seems random is not, but in fact is computed by a short and
fast algorithm which will probably halt before our universe is many times
older than it is now. (46kb)