RE: Is generalisation a limit to intelligence?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 07:37:18 MST

> To sum it up: Is there some way to combine the fuzzy quality that
> intelligence
> relies on with the rigid quality of not making a single mistake? Is
> generalisation a limit to intelligence?

I think this is the same "memory limits intelligence" idea we've been
tossing
around, recently?

With infinite memory, a mind could store both the generalization it had made
from some
raw data, and all the raw data itself. Thus it could use the generalization
to make predictions,
and it could also use the raw data to continually re-evaluate its
generalization to be sure it
still worked.

Lacking infinite memory, some error is necessary due to overgeneralization
(overfitting).

However, we lack a quantitative science that can tell us exactly how quickly
the error rate approaches
zero as the memory (&, in a real-time situation, processing power able to
exploit this memory)
approaches infinity. Eliezer and I differ in that I believe such a science
will someday exist ;>
We also differ in that he intuits this error rate approaches zero faster
than I intuit it does.

Ben