RE: Diaspora, the future of AI & value systems, etc.

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 20:15:39 MST

Freud, as you may know, began his career by trying to reduce mind to brain
function. Neuroscience wasn't up to it yet; he was reduced to some fairly
weak thermodynamics analyses.

I don't think that psychology is dying, or that it's being replaced by
cognitive
science or neuroscience. Rather, it is being ~transformed~ and vastly
improved
by advances in computing and brain science, but it still remains its own
discipline,
and I suspect it will continue to do so, because its topic of study, mind,
is different
from the topic of study of AI or neuroscience...

ben