Re: When Subgoals Attack

From: Dale Johnstone (DaleJohnstone@email.com)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 17:45:17 MST

"Samantha Atkins" wrote

> "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" wrote:
> >

> > > Your above analogy would blow your system architecture apart. Over
and
> > > over again we have found that individual freedom to pursue individual
> > > goals does more for the overall good than any sort of top down
> > > organization.
> >
> > Really? Okay, I demand the immediate liberation of your visual cortex
> > pursue the independent processing of whichever pixels it finds most
> > interesting. I can no longer tolerate your enslavement of a living
> > cognitive subsystem to your mere navigational requirements.
>
> That is a cheap and worthless shot.
>
> -s.

Samantha, although I agree with your position about fuzziness vs rigid
hierarchical schemes (and other things), your reply here didn't help move
the discussion forward.

Eli's point I think was a response to a perceived anthropomorphism in your
line of reasoning. If that was the case, then it was a valid response.
However, judging from your previous posts I doubt that was what you had in
mind.

Personally I find it difficult to know if the architecture would fall apart
simply because I have difficulty modelling it.

It would probably help the discussion if Eli could quickly sum up his goal
architecture without refering to a monster web page, if indeed that's
possible.

Oh, and that reminds me, how's the Friendliness piece coming along?

Cheers,
Dale Johnstone.