Re: Event horizon

From: Justin Corwin (thesweetestdream@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 07:08:38 MST

this is similar to a thought i had when i was first introduced to the techno
singularity. if your perceptions change fast enough, you'll always be able
to "keep up" with the accelerating paradigm shifting, as your viewpoint will
coattail with the acceleration itself(hopefully). but as we're human, and
kinda bad about change, perhaps rather than a wall, we'll experience a kind
of fogginess. as our perceptions slow down and lose ground as compared to
the baseline neccesary to look forward. (sort of a perceptual Doppler
effect).

i'm reminded of polygon fog in some 3d games, which is used to save computer
horsepower. perhaps our perceptions, like the polygon draw rate, will need
to do what they can, simplifying or ignoring some things in the future, with
the less "powerful" or up to date perceptions having worse and worse
fogging, until it does become a wall for some people. and only an
inconvenience for others.

as mysterious and exciting as the singularity is, i, in the interest of
science and getting the right story the first time, would like to keep my
eyes open during it.

justin