Re: Learning to be evil

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 17:58:36 MST

Gordon Worley wrote:

> When I'm uploaded, I
> don't want to be forced to be Friendly and altruistic. If I choose
> to be, that's one thing, but I should be able to keep on living as
> selfishly as I choose.

Samantha and I just ran through this one - the answer is the Sysop
Scenario, an OS which permits the existence of malevolent
superintelligences without risking the safety of any other citizens.
Including the static uploads, the benevolent superintelligences, and the
Amish on Earth. I can't imagine that any but the suicidal will accept
unfiltered communications from you if you make yourself a malevolent SI,
but that's the price you pay.