Re: How does one publish a short book?

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 17:51:40 MST

Durant Schoon wrote:

> I won't post to the whole list because I can't remember this exactly,
> nor do I have web access at work.
>
> try http://www.xlibris.com
>
> I think they are a print-on-demand company.
>
> I also know that Barnes&Noble (www.bn.com ?) invested in a very strong
> company (technology wise) that does the same thing. Maybe you can find
> something on their webpage. That's the one to go with, but can't remember
> what they call themselves...
>
> I'll see if I can track down the link if you don't find it...

(After I checked and found that the Web address was correct, Durant Schoon
gave me permission to post this to SL4.)

My initial reaction was that this was exactly what I was looking for -
print-on-demand, and xlibris takes care of the ordering. However, as far
as I can tell the price of one paperback is $14-$16, even for very small
books. That is essentially the only problem with this service, but it's a
big one. Besides, if I do put in the effort to transform FAI into book
form (including all the stuff needed to make it completely standalone),
I'd as soon go through a traditional publishing company and be a Real
Author.