Re: Military in or out?

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2001 - 21:06:06 MST

Gordon Worley wrote:

> Well, duh! I think that the military is more interested in clones.

This is *deranged*. I just cannot visualize the military even raising the
possibility. First of all, cloning means neither conformity, nor
obedience, and anyone with the faintest touch of scientific knowledge
would tell them so. Second, the enormous expense relative to natural
reproduction means that cloning is out of range for all but Special Ops
units, intelligence agents, and the like, and no benefits exist which
would justify cloning even in those cases. Third, cloning is not approved
by the current administration of the US, or likely to be approved by
future administrations even as black ops, and the military knows that.

The army of clones is a space-operatic concept with absolutely no basis
*whatsoever* in reality. It is *made up* from top to bottom. You must
have picked up that idea from reading the most unspeakably ignorant
Opposition screed.

Unless someone can provide me with documentation of a military interest in
cloning, in which case I've just been an idiot.