Re: Military in or out?

From: Mark Walker (tap@cgocable.net)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 19:09:27 MST

Nick wrote:

>Now my
> intuition that it is better if the military knows results from the
> heuristic: When in doubt, promote public discussion.

I agree. It is hard to see what significant dangers there could be to
attempting to promote public discussion that don't already exist at present.
(But if I don't post tomorrow then it means that the military police came
for me in the night). On the positive side it might help to introduce this
discussion now while they still think the idea is "way out there" with the
hope (vain perhaps) that as it approaches this will diminish any knee jerk
reaction on their part. Furthermore, appearances to the contrary
notwithstanding, the military is composed of individuals. One might hope for
some epistemic quid pro quo (an encrypted email here or there) from a fair
minded individual or two should an unfriendly sentiment develop in the
military. Mark