Re: How To Live In A Simulation

From: James Higgins (jameshiggins@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 01:03:56 MST

At 04:51 PM 3/19/2001 +0000, Christopher Bart wrote:

> > James Higgins wrote: Borg is not my idea of an ideal future.
>How many of you have voluntarily lost your individuality
>in a crowd, specifically something like a marching band?
>There is a feeling that is sooooo wicked cool, from being
>a part of a bigger unit that is getting it done, that is wailing,
>that is greater than the self. We should have something like
>a Borg that you check into when you want and check
>back out of when you want.
>
>With a SysOp in place to stop people running amok, then this is fine. That
>feeling though, pleasurable though it is, can be rather dangerous. The
>loss of individuality encompasses the loss of responsibility and moral
>sense. From an evolutionary stand point, I guess the rules that apply to
>individuals get less important as the group gets more powerful. People,
>hopefully excluding reprogrammed uploads, get intoxicated by it. Mind you,
>the question of how bandwidth affects sense of self vs group in a SysOp
>scenario would presumably change group dynamics anyway.

Hmm, personally I've never experienced this "group mentality" and don't
have any desire to. I like being me. It is much more enjoyable to
accomplish huge goals (the kind that would make a whole team nervous) all
by yourself. Being a very small part of some large thing has no joy
attached to it, at least for me. Then again, I know exactly what I'm doing
what I get drunk too. Guess I just hate not being in total control of
myself... (which is probably why all this makes me a bit nervous).