Re: How To Live In A Simulation

From: Chris Cooper (coop666@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 13:49:14 MST

  Well,I certainly started off on a bad foot!As you said,perhaps this subject
has been discussed to death before I arrived,if so,sorry.One of the things
that I enjoy in reading these posts are the sincere attempts to tackle the
bigger philosophical and ethical issues brought to light by the
Singularity.The only reason that I even posted my limited musings was due to
something in your previous post:

> Transhuman means transhumanly
> persuasive... a superintelligence could simply take over a human mind
> given realtime bandwidth, maybe even take over a mind using a memetic
> proxy (ultra-appealing religions, say).

I was just pointing towards the fact that just such a thing might have
already happened,or might be occuring even now.And to reply in kind to your
reply:

> Stories are just stories. They don't matter one way or the other.

Perhaps I'm missing your point,but I was frankly shocked to see someone as
obviously brilliant as yourself make such a statement,particularly in light
of the subject of memes coming up in the previous post.Myths,stories,etc. are
carriers for memes,both good and bad.I happen to think that matters quite a
bit.

> The
> fact that a story exists and is patently false does not provide data about
> the truth of unrelated projections.

But is it a fact that the story in question is patently false?If you plan on
creating God(i.e.,an all-knowing,all-powerful Sysop),you should at least be
open to the idea that someone else may have beaten you to the punch.

Eliezer,I dearly hope that this isn't taken as anything thing more than
gentle discourse.I have nothing but the highest respect for you,and everyone
else who takes the time to post here.Thanks for reading,and please continue
stimulating my tiny,pre-transhuman brain.