Re: Gender Neutral Pronouns

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 15:58:17 MST

Marc Forrester wrote:

> No argument there, but eventually is the key word. Introductions will be,
> as you say, available in levels and stages, with appropriately targeted
> ideas and language, not merely as a raw text dump of the entire SL4 archive.
> Meanwhile, I'm still assuming that anyone reading this right now has already
> progressed through SL1-3 in their own time.

The problem is that "Friendly AI" *is* intended to be readable by as wide
an audience as possible.

Possible alternate approach: Delay the use of "ve" as long as possible,
maybe even through the first section (of FAI, and of CaTAI), at whatever
cost in grammar. Anyone who gets through that ought to be hooked.