RE: Gender Neutral Pronouns, one last time

From: Alicia Madsen (fsadm1@uaf.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 17:34:17 MDT

Gordon Worley wrote:
>BTW, are there any languages that have gender neutral pronouns
>already (besides the SL4 dialect of English)? I don't know of one
>off the top of my head and such a novelty seems like it would have
>been pointed out to me by now, but then again it is easy to miss this
>stuff.

In INupiaq, the pronoun is nuetral for all. Example.
She/he/it is eating. "Niggiruq." The eating part is "niggi", and the "ruq"
part is the pronoun part.

If you wanted to denote a specific gender, you tack on the name of the
pronoun. But the gender would be implied. Example.
Alicia is eating. Alicia-niggiruq.

But there is no stand-alone counterpart to English's she/he/it in INupiaq.

Puigitnittunga. (Don't you forget.) ")

Alicia.