Re: Deliver Us from Evil...?

From: James Higgins (jameshiggins@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 09:14:26 MDT

At 03:07 AM 4/6/2001 -0400, Brian Atkins wrote:
>James Higgins wrote:
> > BS. Testing means jack when you are talking about something that will
> > complete reinvent itself a thousand times. And I have a feeling that the
> > design will have little long-term impact also. Certainly, the design will
> > influence how well the AI starts off, and how well it upgrades itself the
> > first few times or so. But beyond the first dozen or less redesigns, it
> > will have little, if any, resemblance to the original. So excuse me if I
> > don't have much faith.
>
>Feel free to debate the technical points with Eliezer, he'd love to hear
>some real criticism of the details...

I assume this specific topic is covered in the FAI document. If it's of
reasonable size (and I can find it) I'll try and read that in the next
couple of days.

> > >You want to talk about who designs the first AI? Well who decides who gets
> > >to be the first upload?
> >
> > Hey, that is easy. I'll be first. ;)
>
>Well James we don't see didley squat in terms of new ideas from you, so I
>doubt you would be the one the world would choose (if they were picking), and
>I doubt you will be the one to invent uploading technology. I asked you for
>your ideal scenario and got nothing except further knee jerk reactions to
>ours. I point out the flaws in uploading humans, and instead of coming up
>with some argument against that you choose to make seat of the pants
>judgements
>about our AI plans without (apparently) even reading our online documentation.

Maybe I need to write up a description of sarcasm and post it as a
reference somewhere...

And excuse me if I don't offer "didley squat in terms of new
ideas". You've been thinking about this for 3+ years, I've been thinking
about it for, maybe, 2 months now.

I don't have an "ideal" scenario, yet. However, I am actively exploring
numerous possibilities. It would take on the order of 2+ hours of writing
each day to communicate what I'm thinking about at this point. I shoot a
lot of holes though my own ideas too, fyi. When I find something that
doesn't end up looking like swiss cheese and have some time to spare, I'll
be more than happy to write up the details.

I have read quite a bit of your online documentation. But, I'll note, that
you said you haven't even raid FAI yet due to its size.