Re: Singularity intros (was: Si definition of Friendliess)

From: James Higgins (jameshiggins@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 10:12:48 MDT

At 03:43 PM 4/6/2001 -0700, you wrote:
> >I understand your position, however I do not believe it will stop a
>Singularity from happening.<
>
>Of course it won't stop it from happening. But what if it shaved a few years
>off the timeline? Hard to say no to that.
>
>COOP

Well, actually, if the anti-Singularity memes start doing the talk show
circuit it could potentially bring a halt to the project. If the general
population was sufficiently enraged by the thought that this small, elitist
group wanted to destroy their future I could easily see the mob mentality
taking over. And it would be rather difficult to concentrate on
programming a seed AI while your being protested, attacked and, if their
upset enough, fire bombed.

When talking about initiating change on this scale, I think it is VERY
important to have an informed populace. Unfortunately, the majority of the
people out their would not, or could not, just pickup the conversation on
this list and be appeased. It will require a set of documents specifically
designed to inform the average person (who doesn't understand this stuff).