Re: Uploads and AIs (was: Deliver us from...)

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 12:32:48 MDT

Spike Jones wrote:

> ASMEs behavior pretty much demonstrates the futility of
> Bill Joy's approach to AI/nanotech/GM. Engineers will say
> "This is new, this is cool, lets do it." Generals will say "This
> could ruin the commies for good, lets do it." Lunatic fringe
> teens will say "This is faaar superior to shooting up the
> local high school, lets do it." etc.
>
> I am led to a conclusion similar to what I believe is
> Eliezer's: that we must have a strong and friendly AI
> in place before nanotech, otherwise...

So you think Foresight's effort to come up with some nanotech guidelines
is futile? Do you think SIAI spending time to promote FAI to other AI
designers would also be a waste of time, and that we should stay almost
100% focused on working on our own code (assuming a very harsh limit on
our available resources) ?

--
Brian Atkins
Director, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence