RE: Open Source Friendly AI? (was Singularity and the generalpublic)

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 07:07:02 MDT

FWIW, here's my current tentative plan for open-sourcing parts of Webmind AI
development

First, open-sourcing all of the Webmind AI Engine code isn't an option for
us because of our investors. If it were, though, I imagine the result would
be this. A ~small~ in-group of people would become interested enough to
work on it, and this group would be the only ones who understood it. It
seems to me that a similar effect can be achieved by inviting a small
in-group of people to join a closed-source effort.

Second, having said this, we ~are~ seriously considering open-sourcing a lot
of our code. All but the most important parts! As it stands now, we have
some nice NL processing code, a lovely Java GP system, a distributed Java
agents system called the "psycore" or Mind Os (which is a couple hundred
thousand lines of Java), complete with a couple scripting languages, etc.
All these things are built to interact with each other and with the
"cognitive core" of the system, but they also have meaning on their own.

But the crux of the Webmind brain is contained in about 2000 lines of C code
which is the "cognitive core", embodying reasoning, association-finding,
associative memory, attention allocation, concept formation, and
cognitive/perceptual/active schema execution. Frankly, getting this sort of
thing to function well is pretty intense work, and seems best done by a
small, tightly-knit group of, say, 4-7 people.

Once it's achieved a high degree of functionality & intelligence, could it
benefit from a larger team? Sure. At that point there's a serious choice
between open-sourcing it and obtaining enough money to build a huge
proprietary research team around it.

About Linux, BTW, it obviously is less buggy than windows, but it's a
different kind of development than AI development. Linux is founded on
well-understood principles; it's engineering work. AI development requires
a very difficult and peculiar combination of conceptual, scientific and
engineering work, which is difficult to manage whether in a closed-source or
open-source situation. My guess is that until there is a well-functioning
AI system to seed the effort, managing such an effort in an open-source
situation would be close to impossible. The reason is that, although there
are a lot of people interested in AI, most of them have their own
ideosyncratic ideas about how to do it, and to get everyone's intuition
working in harmony in a globally distributed, everyone's-his-own-boss
setting, would require truly fantastic, perhaps superhuman visionary
leadership.

-- Ben