Re: No Biological Singularity

From: Brian Phillips (deepbluehalo@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 19:04:24 MDT

----- Original Message -----
From: Samantha Atkins <samantha@objectent.com>
To: <sl4@sysopmind.com>
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2001 3:30 AM
Subject: Re: No Biological Singularity

> "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" wrote:
> >
> > Brian Phillips wrote:
> > >
> > > Eli any thoughts?
> >
> > AI will arrive long before any true-augmented human could grow up. AI
> > will also arrive long before uploading. AI may be developed before BCI
or
> > adult-neurohacking has a significant impact on anything, but not
> > necessarily so.
>
> I am not sure what you mean by "true-augmented" but augmented humans are
> already present to a quite modest degree. Do you count hauling around
> various computing and communication accessories as augmented? If they
> are wearable? embedded? There will be quite strong pressures to
> increase human productivity and competitiveness via this kind of
> augmentation. I will be quite surprised if ultra-light wearable net
> connections and computational power are not available commonly by 2006.
> Despite some optimistic predictions I do not believe we will have full
> AI before that. I would not be surprised by human implants by
> 2010-2015. So I believe we will have humans augmented to a degree where
> they have improved memory, instant access to the net, high levels of
> computational power and so on "built-in" before AI is fully on the
> scene.
>
> What is wrong with my crystal ball here?

Nothing Samantha and that is the point I was trying to make. If
"true-augmented" in this context means genetically engineered humans
designed to be of superhuman intelligence then Eli certainly has a point.
But borging mature humans could happen much faster.
  For instance... say in 2010ish we have "Intel Inside" humans. What sort
of OS will they be running to manage their own internal dataspace and
it's interactions with the Net at large? The best they can find presumably!
  How much processing power could 2010 tech fit into a space..oh the size
of a kidney? :)
  Eli how large (physically) do you anticipate the hardware neccessary to
run
an AI being?
  Would a Friendly transhuman AI prevent a human from "growing" an
AI inside their own on-board dataspace? If they were trying to fuse
or form a symbiosis with the nascent intelligence? Or is this yet another
silly question ?

brian