Re: Making HAL Your Pal

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 21:31:50 MDT

Arona Ndiaye wrote:

> 2. "Of course, some of the brightest people in the world, including
> Nobel laureates, have spent decades researching AI -- friendly or not --
> and have failed to realize their dreams..."
> Why isn't a distinction made between Friendly AI and Classical AI ?

Yes, this is one of the points that I wish had been presented a bit more
clearly. "Conservative" for FAI is not the same as "conservative" for AI
in general. And yes, they've failed to realize their dreams, but sooner
or later you can bet your fundament that one of them *will* succeed, when
it's me or someone else. At that point, the skepticism that won a few
bets in the past becomes a HUGE disadvantage. Like predicting that a
market bubble will never pop; great in 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,
but not so good in 2000.