Re: Journalism [ was: RE: Making HAL Your Pal]

From: Shane Legg (banquo98403@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 14:41:23 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> However, in the case of Declan's article about Webmind in Wired News, it
> seems to me that some details were fabricated or exaggerated for purely
> sensationalist appeal, distracting from the essence of the story rather than
> accentuating it.

This is why I enjoyed the article so much! All my friends loved the
idea of my company descending into a seething mess of alcohol and
prostitutes! The reality for most of us was FAR less interesting:
having salary owed to us, getting CVs ready, having to sell furniture
and shift out of apartments, job interviews, lifting lots of heavy
servers.... v e r y b o r i n g....

Wired, as I understand it, gives you the general idea of what's going
on in a way that is brief and interesting to read. I think they
succeeded. If you really want the low down on exactly what, why
and how then you need to look elsewhere - such as following the links
Declan provided. Most people just aren't interested in this level of
detail, they just want the general idea; there's too much news everyday
to worry about the exact details. Many readers of this list however
probably are interested in the details, so follow the links. Ben's
summary makes for a very interesting read.

Shane