RE: Extreme programming Re: A fairly concrete path to the Singularity

From: Patrick McCuller (patrick@kia.net)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 07:38:31 MDT

> Fabio Mascarenhas wrote:
> >
> > Of course! No matter how much you design upfront, actual implementation
> > reveals much, much more about the problem domain you're
> addressing. This is
> > one of the primaty tenets of Extreme Programming, and something Eliezer
> > should be aware of: implementation is far away from a purely
> mechanical job,
> > no matter how much design was done.
> >

> Fabio (or anyone), do you have any direct experience with EP, or know
> anyone who has? I'm interested in it, and want to buy a book on it- can
> you recommend one?

        Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change by Kent Beck.

        A word of caution: extreme programming is not completely proven, and much of
its advice goes against 30 years of software engineering practice. That's not
to say it won't eventually be considered superior, only that there are other
methods that are known to work reasonably well now.

        I believe a better book on software development is Rapid Development: Taming
Wild Software Cycles by Steve McConnell.

Patrick McCuller