META: lists (WAS: A fairly concrete path to the Singularity)

From: Jordan Dimov (jdimov@cis.clarion.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 17:49:58 MDT

  Hey, how about you _DO_ start an SL2 list. And an SL3. And keep SL4.
Obviously, quality discussion is needed at each of the levels, but as we
have just seen, discussing SL2 stuff on an SL4 list doesn't quite do
justice to some of us. Perhaps Eli could refine his definitions of the
shock levels a bit and say : discussions about this this and that go to
this list, and discussions about this this and that go to that list.. I
realize it would be hard to do this kind of classification for some
messages. I realize also that people may get offended if their message
winds up in SL2 when they meant it to be SL4... May be it's not such a
good idea after all. But consider some of the benefits -- SL4 chat will
become a bit cleaner and people will be able to think in a more abstract
way about ideas that are further off. At the same time discussions on
the other lists will be able to jump into more details without upsetting
anyone.

  Just a suggestion. It's your list.