Re: A fairly concrete path to the Singularity

From: James Higgins (jameshiggins@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 09:54:11 MDT

At 03:47 AM 4/29/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Generally I find environments where an interpreter is available and full
>reflection is present to be much more productive to code in. Java, C,
>C++, C# do not have this. Lisp systems invented and profected JIT
>conversion to machine language long before Java came on the scene. Java
>reminds me of Pascal. A lot of time is spent making the finicky
>compiler happy at the cost of a lot of frustration of the person
>attempting to design and program as they think and as is natural for the
>problem at hand. Language may not determine thought but it sure can
>greatly frustrate and stifle it.

Pascal may not be the perfect language but you may want to have a look at
Kylix (since your a Linux bigot; Delphi for Windows). With Delphi/Kylix
Borland has created a great tool for typical software projects. In the
process they have extended Pascal to be very useful and very clean
(compared to C/C++ at least). True, it doesn't have some of the features
you list, but when it comes to writing user interface, database or
networking code it is a good tool. I use it frequently myself and it makes
me at least an order of magnitude more productive than C/C++ or the
like. Plus is has great internal support for COM, DCOM & CORBA. True, it
has some limitations (when compared to Lisp, Smalltalk, etc) but is by far
the best of the major commercial tools.