Re: Goertzel's _PtS_

From: James Higgins (jameshiggins@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 00:41:42 MDT

At 10:30 PM 5/2/2001 -0400, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
>Ben Goertzel wrote:
> > Anyway, I'll make a few comments...
> >
> > > Point the 1st: Friendliness is not, and cannot, be implemented on the
> > > level of source code. Friendliness is cognitive content.
> >
> > Sure, but source code can bias the system in favor of certain cognitive
> > content
>
>Depends on how philosophically sophisticated the system is. For an
>advanced, reflective system that can think about thinking, and
>specifically think about goal thinking and examine source code, the system
>will be aware that the source code is biasing it and that the bias was
>caused by humans. If the AI regards sources of behaviors as more and less
>valid, it may come to regard some specific bias as invalid. (FAI
>explicitly proposes giving the AI the capability to understand causation
>and validity in this way.) Source code or precreated content can support
>the system, or even bias it, but only as long as the AI-as-a-whole concurs
>that the support or bias is a good thing (albeit under the current
>system).

Won't the same mind realize that having Friendliness as its primary goal
was also caused by humans and thus biasing it?

> > > Point the 4th: Friendliness is not "hardwired", a term which I've seen
> > > you use several times.
> >
> > What I mean by "hard-wiring Friendliness" is placing Friendliness at
> the top
> > of the initial goal system and making the system express all other goals as
> > subgoals of this. Is this not what you propose? I thought that's what you
> > described to me in New York...
>
>Yes, that's what I described, but by that description *I'm* hard-wired
>Friendly, since this is one of the properties I strive for in my own
>declarative philosophical content.

Actually, I don't think so. *You* have decided to strive for friendliness
in your own life. Your mother & father didn't force it to be a primary
goal (although they may have tried, you actually had a choice). Thus you
are not "hard-wired" friendly in the same way that a FAI would be.