RE: hello

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 07:59:56 MDT

At 9:23 AM -0400 5/12/01, Patrick McCuller wrote:
> > I have a feeling that in order to create an AI that is truly self aware,
>> it's going to need some hardware components that work at a fundamentally
>> different level than current CPUs. A quantum leap you might say. ;) This
>> would allow the richness of thought that I find impossible in a purely
>> digital system.
>
> How do you justify this statement?
>
> I would say that the burden is on you to demonstrate, or at
>least indicate,
>what exactly isn't rich about digital logic, and it might even be useful to
>help us understand how an alternative system would work in a way that can't be
>modelled digitally.
>
> Even to ask these questions I'm stretching, as there are
>already at least
>several programs which are self aware.

Not to mention that I'm pretty sure that this has been discussed
before (and probably died out quickly).

If it helps the OP, I think that this is a lot like the SPAC (slow
partical accelerator) that some of us have jokingly built in the
round building of my school (where the science department resides).
Sure, running particles around our building will take centuries to
get within 10% of the speed of light, but it will eventually happen,
given the right conditions. We could run AIs at today's speeds and
eventually get somewhere, but as things speed up, these issues will
disapear. Speed will solve the problems that you are experiencing
now. After a couple more generations, we should be up to speeds
where results will be reasonable (yeah, read that one before ;-)).

And, actually, we don't really have *slow* processors today, they
just don't process that many instructions per second and have a great
deal more latency that future chips will have. :^)

--
Gordon Worley
http://www.rbisland.cx/