Re: PHYSICS/SPACE: Legitimate time traval proposal

From: xgl (xli03@emory.edu)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 14:58:37 MDT

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

> Why is that? I don't see the connection. To me it looks like the precise
> opposite effect ought to obtain; time travel is very computationally
> expensive, if not outright impossible to "simulate" without an actual time
> machine, and should just happen to not be developed in most simulations of
> a pre-Singularity world.

        why would one need a time machine to simulate a time machine? i
mean, if i were not the chrononaut who's actually going back in time, all
i would see are some newspaper headlines. if i _were_ going back in time,
the only overhead would be the portion of the world that i would notice to
be different -- one wouldn't even need to fork the entire simulation.

-x