Re: PHYSICS/SPACE: Legitimate time traval proposal etc.

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sun May 20 2001 - 22:23:27 MDT

Samantha Atkins wrote:

> Giving an advanced and powerful technology over to an
> organization that is fundamentally uncontrollable and is part of
> the government's cloak and dagger side, is utterly unethical in
> my book and much more dangerous a cure than the disease.

Incidentally, I should note for the record that I think the US military
(as opposed to the militaries of other governments) is basically under
control and that even the upper echelons are composed of professionals who
understand the proper role of the military in a democracy. I'm sure that
the military does a lot of things I wouldn't approve of, and I'm sure that
the upper echelons play politics with a vengeance to get the largest
possible budget. But I would still describe the US military as being,
fundamentally, under control. I suppose that makes me a naive dupe of the
military-industrial complex.