TUNES -- a potential AI?

From: Joaquim Almgren Gāndara (claw@lords.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 16:28:04 MDT

TUNES (tunes.org) is project that aims to "get rid of the obsolete or plain
misdesigned idiosyncrasies of current computing systems". It's supposed to
become some kind of "smart" OS. In their FAQ, they call it a "free software
computing system based on a reflective design", where reflection is "the ability
of systems to know enough about themselves so as to dynamically metaprogram
their own behavior, so as to adapt themselves to changing circumstances, so as
to relieve programmers and administrators from so many tasks that currently need
to be done manually".

They claim that the software will not be an AI in itself, but then they go on to
say "If AI is possible, we hope that TUNES will help toward reaching it; If it
isn't, well, we hope that TUNES will help make the most of what is possible."

This kind of worries me, since I don't know what level of comprehension they're
aiming for. Also, I get the feeling that they don't take AI too seriously.

- Joaquim Gāndara
. http://www.ite.mh.se/~joaal98/