Re: TUNES -- a potential AI?

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 17:16:51 MDT

gabriel C wrote:

> Sounds like marketing to me, more than anything else.
>
> I think we need a better term than "AI". It's already diluted in meaning
> from the gaming industry, and after this Spielberg flick comes out, it's
> really going to lose the context we want.

The Foresight crowd uses "Machine Intelligence", which I think is even
worse. AI will regain its meaning when the actual AIs show up, and
shouldn't be too much of a disadvantage until then. If you want to
distinguish real AI from the usual run of marketing gimmicks, "general
intelligence" (or, for SIAI, "seed AI") works well enough.