Re: Coercive Transhuman Memes and Exponential Cults

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 17:01:05 MDT

At 3:01 PM -0700 6/11/01, Durant Schoon wrote:
> > > The result? Exponential cults win (in a weird way).
>>
>> Only for people who like exponential cults...
>
>Ah, but because volition can be rewired, all you have to do is keep
>getting people closer to liking exponential cults. Given that these
>entities will live a long time and be mentally mutating anyway (give
>or take), there is probably sufficient time to be largely
>successful. People will "drift" toward strong attractors, or maybe
>leap and bound between them...if they can escape from the previous one,
>that is, if they'll *want* to.

Maybe we should hand everyone a copy of /The Fountainhead/ as they
upload and tell them to be like Roark, please. There are people like
this now (most people in fact) who drift in their thoughts rather
than refine and stick to them. They get into trouble now, so there's
no good reason why they wouldn't continue to get into trouble. If
these cult things take off, maybe they'll kill themselves off and all
that will be left are those smart enough to tell a helpful meme from
a dangerous one.

Or, maybe Eliezer is trying to start a Friendliness cult and he's
really a transhuman but isn't telling us. ;-P

--
Gordon Worley
http://www.rbisland.cx/