RE: Coercive Transhuman Memes and Exponential Cults

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 07:02:20 MDT

At 1:44 AM -0400 6/12/01, Ben Houston wrote:
> >Re what I wrote a week or two ago, unless we are quite clear on what
>>benevolent means, we must mean altruistic (I realize that CFAI uses
>>benevolent in a few places) in the Friendly sense.
>
>BTW pure altruistic behavior is un-stable in an evolutionary sense but
>maybe that isn't really relevant to this discussion.

It's not, since the Sysop is an AI (but not like a normal AI), re
some sections of CFAI and GISAI.

> >To make a
>>Unix analogy (because that's what I know best :-)), the Sysop is not
>>root, but more like the permission system, only much more complex.
>>It can advise aginst you accessing a file, even though you have
>>access to it, but in the end it can't stop you, even if it is not in
>>your interest to do as such, because it is your volition that is most
>>important and the Sysop may not violate it and must respect it so
>>long as it doesn't violate anyone else's volition.
>
>Sounds like Freud's concept of the "superego" (i.e. the moral component
>of his theory of mind) but more in a collective sense? Are you sure
>that you want this vicarious selector to be implemented in an external
>regulating super-system or would you want it internalized in all the
>agents as an internal component. It would be cheaper and probably more
>robust to internalize it... but then how would it differ from the
>already existing moral center of our brains (i.e. parts of the
>prefrontal cortex)? Maybe your Sysop idea is just an augmentation of
>our existing moral system...

Part of the idea behind the Sysop is to impliment ethics that make
the morals true. The Sysop is like an operating system: it runs all
of the time and connects the system together. Imagine you're process
A and I'm process B. The Sysop provides a way for us to talk and, in
doing so, trys to protect our volitions. Regardless of the Sysop,
all of us will have moral and ethical processes in our minds, but the
Sysop makes a base set or morals and ethics true (though you can
choose to ignore them when you're on the receiving end if you really
want to).

I'll go start writing soon on this topic and maybe that will help
explain some. Just don't expect a Sysop book. Atually, I'm going to
write on the meta topic of this: enforcing ethics and morals in the
future because we finally can.

--
Gordon Worley
http://www.rbisland.cx/