Re: Effective(?) AI Jail

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 14:38:45 MDT

Jimmy Wales wrote:

> Heck, I'll give you $1000 if I "decide to let you out".
>
> But, notice what I'm doing already. By making strong claims and
> putting my money and reputation on the line, I increase my mental
> resistance.

Hm, an interesting rider. If I thought that you were on the verge of
giving $1000 to SIAI in any case, as a worthwhile act of charity (which it
is), I might be willing to add that as a rider to the challenge. As it
is, however, I think that $1000 was probably chosen to be more than what
you have to spare at the moment (is it?), which increases the strength of
the challenge beyond what is realistic for poor ol' mortal me to overcome.

As for that jab about "increasing your mental resistance", I don't want to
reply and thereby effectively start the challenge on SL4. Let's save it
for the chat. <grin>.