Re: Unambiguous Language WAS: MEME: A.I.: Artificial Intelligence

From: Durant Schoon (durant@ilm.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 18:33:52 MDT

> From: "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience@pobox.com>
>
> An interesting compromise would be to use symbols where there are almost
> identical shared referents, but use modality encoding - telepathy - for
> anything else. Of course, this requires X finding out whether Y shares a
> symbol with X, preferably using a lower-bandwidth method than sending Y
> the entire symbol for comparison.

Yes.

Pet Theory:

I've had a pet theory for a while that dreaming is used to strengthen and
weaken conceptual relationships while we sleep.

New Concept: "Communal Dreaming"

Using spare cycles to compare one's own mental structures with the mental
structures of others one is likely to come into concact with, so that
at the time of actual communication, one already knows which symbols are
shared.

--
Durant Schoon