further newsbit on those new IBM transistors

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 02:07:20 MDT

Basically the transistors, using standard SiGe tech and feature sizes of
today, can be made to operate over 200ghz, and IBM thinks they can have
chips with 100ghz speeds sometime in 2003. These chips are currently used
in networking devices (think switches, routers, etc.). The article makes
the point that progress in the computer chip arena seems dog slow compared
to what IBM has cooking... Intel is only planning for 20ghz by maybe 2007
if we're lucky, and it probably will run more like 10ghz in terms of
actual work done if we can go by the performance of their spectacularly
unbalanced Pentium 4 design. I would be interested to see if IBM makes
any moves to start using this technology in their server (or other) chips.

http://www.e-insite.net/electronicnews/index.asp?layout=article&doc_id=32886&spacedesc=news

--
Brian Atkins
Director, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence