RE: vanished civilizations

From: Jordan Dimov (jdimov@cis.clarion.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 08:41:22 MDT

Right, right... Obviously.

Ignore technology for a moment. How is it that civilisations last and
flourish for thousands and thousands of years and then disappear in an
instant? True, shit happens. Asteroids, and earthquakes, and floods, and
what-have-you... But actually that's never really been much of a
problem. Rome didn't go down in a flood, Egypt wasn't hit by an asteroid,
and the Aztecs didn't all die in a huge earthquake. In virtually all
cases of civilizations' downfall, the driving forces were largely social
and very much unpredictable. Of course you can always discount this as an
artifact of the cultural evolutionary processes on our planet, but that
doesn't explain anything. Might there be a maximum sustainable degree of
complexity intrinsic to any social structure, beyond which a society can't
help but disintegrate?

Okay, I feel very much off-topic now, so I'll stop.