Re: SI Jail Morality

From: Dani Eder (danielravennest@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 09:32:36 MDT

Another issue is whether we have the right to cage
an intelligence once it reaches a certain level
because it inherently aquires rights of it's own.

In our society today, there is a fuzzy dividing
line between entities that are accorded some rights
and those that are not. In the case of animals,
you can get in trouble for mis-treating pets if
they are cats and dogs. But we also feed mice
to pet snakes. So somewhere between mouse and
cat, animals aquire a right not to be mis-treated.

In the case of children and the mentally disabled,
they may not be accorded full freedom do do as they
wish, but someone (parents, state mental health
agency, etc.) is responsible for their best interests.

Once a sufficient level of intelligence has been
reached by a machine AI, does it then aquire rights
comparable to the carbon-based life forms at the
same level? Will it be moral to keep it locked
in a cage with no chance to go out and play, and a
gun pointed at it's "head"?

Oh sure, it may grow up to become an evil worse
than all the dictators in history combined. But
our society believes punishment before the crime
is wrong.