Re: Singularity rationality? [Fwd: Re: Synchronicity]

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@mac.com)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 19:14:11 MDT

>From: Samantha Atkins <samantha@objectent.com>
>even stranger thing. Some believe that the world and its people
>can go jump and are relatively unimportant as long as a
>hyper-intelligence is born out of this world. If it turns and
>eats us or otherwise destroys us then that is nothing to them.
>Now that is a level of belief and of space for self-deception
>far beyond what might be involved in noting and being impressed
>by synchronicities!

Well, this idea is going the right way, but it is missing the key
element: a person can't decide for other people. For example, if I
knew, for a fact, that there was no way that I could be uploaded or
transcend by some other means, I would be willing to die to further
the attainment of a super intelligence. That's my choice, since I'm
going to die either way, so I figure I might as well die for
something worthwhile than of old age. It would be wrong of me,
though, to decide that everyone else in my neighborhood should die
along with me.

It is simply shortsightedness that leads to the opinion Samantha is
referring to because they fail to observe the volition of others.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://homepage.mac.com/redbird/   said, `it means just what I choose