[ARTICLE] A.I. and the Future

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 12:39:22 MDT

Okay, at first, I was thinking great, a Slashdot article by Jon Katz
about AI; this is going to be bad. Well, Jon did his usually good
job of looking foolish, but what is interesting is the comments on
the story. Okay, so nothing is in there that would really be all
that interesting to SL4ers, but what is interesting is just the kind
of comments made and in what quantities. There were several posts
that brought up the Singularity and shed a good light on it. One
promising post realized that AIs don't think like humans, alas no one
seemed to see how important this fact is and it didn't get moderated
up any. Most posts would have been new ideas 20 or 30 years go.

Anyway, here is my analysis of the tech savvy audience after this
article: about 1% think seriously about AI, 24% are ready to
seriously think about AI, 50% have thought about it a little and have
misguided ideas (which I would like to think are mostly due to
ignorance), around 20% are Luddites, and the last 5% are completely
in the dark about the whole issue.

<http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/07/11/1516259>

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://homepage.mac.com/redbird/   said, `it means just what I choose