RE: Languages and AI

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 15:39:24 MDT

> Hi Eliezer,
>
> I'd strongly recommend against creating a language. It will take way too
> much work and more probably will never get done. Also I have not yet seen
> any new features that are really driving you towards a new language.
>
> Describe the feature that you want and I'll bet that I can find
> an existing
> language that has that feature.
>
> Cheers,
> -ben houston

heh. While I agree with your recommendation, of course, I'm not sure it
really matters that there exist programming languages embodying almost all
possible features. Of course, what distinguishes a language is its
particular *combination* of features. For instance PL-1 has a *lot* of
features, yet is a worse language than FORTRAN, COBOL or PASCAL which are
basically subsets of it...

There WILL be a "real AI programming language" one day. It won't be LISP
or Prolog or Java or Flare or even Haskell, it will be something that we can
only design after we know for sure how to make a real AI...

ben