RE: Languages and AI

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 16:13:42 MDT

> Ben Goertzel wrote:
> >
> > Why on earth do you folks want logical control to be expressed in XML,
> > anyway?
> >
> > I mean, XML is definitely too awkward for humans to want to use it for
> > programming.
>
> Yes, that's why we use FlareSpeak instead.

Sure, I understand that. But that was a side point in my post. The main
point is: what is the particular benefit of XML as an *internal*
representation for a programming language?

Do you actually want

a) Flare to *use* XML internally, or

b) just for there to exist a 1-1 mapping between the space of its internal
representation and some subspace of the space of well-formed XML
expressions?

[Hint: the right answer is b ;) ]

I guess that b) is somewhat interesting, although the XML code for a
nontrivial program is going to be humanly incomprehensible anyway... more
specialized textual-rendering or visualization tools will obviously have to
be laid on top of the XML to make the code comprehensible...

ben g