limits to exponential growth (RE: Other signposts towards the Singularity)

From: Ben Houston (ben@exocortex.org)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 13:03:44 MDT

>The doubling time in productivity decreased from
>33 years in the 50's to 17 years in the 90's.
>Extrapolating the trend indicates infinite
>productivity
>in the 2030's, i.e. a Singularity.

Probably not. Do you not think that there might be some factors that may
invalidate your extrapolation of exponential growth? Many things follow an
exponential growth curve for a while and then level off.

Technological adoption and population growth (see Thomas Malthus) are two
classic examples. Technological adoption is an interesting one in my mind
and relevant to our purpose here. It follows something that economists call
an "S-curve". A new product obviously starts off with no users and it
slowly starts to grow. If it is a technology that is of us to most people
(i.e. computers, cell phones) it will grow for quite a while but at some
point it reaches a saturation point. Once everyone has a cell phone it's
becomes a little harder to sell phones (i.e. the replacement phone market is
limited to something like 15 % of the population per year) and this can be
significantly lower than the growth was just prior to the saturation point
(50% per year in the case of cell phones).

Many people have experienced first hand the pitfalls of naively believing
exponential growth can be sustained over the long run (especially to the
point were it become a ridiculous notion) - that is how Nortel lost 19.6
billion this quarter and how many investors loss their millions in the stock
bubble market.

Cheers,
-ben houston
http://www.exocortex.org/~ben