RE: Other signposts towards the Singularity

From: Ben Houston (ben@exocortex.org)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 10:03:18 MDT

>Note that infinite labor productivity is quite
>possible given a robotic/automated manufacturing
>economy. It just means the human labor divisor
>in the formula ouptut/labor-hour = productivity
>has gone to zero.

I'll give you that.

But productivity measures are usually more broadly defined as the amount of
outputs as compared to the amount of inputs (and I guess I had
misinterpreted your earlier statement in this definition). Commonly
accounted inputs are both labor and goods. If one is using automation in
the manufacturing process one usually must factor in the cost of the
automation both in terms of purchase, maintenance and depreciation.

>One definition of the Singularity is that time
>horizon beyond which you can't make any useful
>predictions because too many things will have
>changed. Some folks think that will be shortly
>after the first superintelligent AI is developed.

I sort of agree with that. Sometimes though I feel that our ability to
predict the future may be staying constant as respect to time because at the
same time the world becomes more unpredictable we become more capable of
managing that uncertainty - although that is a totally unsupportable
statement I am sure that it is marginally true.

>The definition I go by is a bit different: that
>singular time in history when technology is
>changing the fastest, just before physical
>limits of the universe put a brake on further
>improvements.

Sounds like Vernor Vinge's "the era of failed dreams" (or something like
that) from his most two books. :-)

Cheers,
-ben houston
http://www.exocortex.org/~ben