microtubules and consciousness

From: Ben Houston (ben@exocortex.org)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 11:37:58 MDT

Mitchell,

RE: http://www.consciousness.arizona.edu/hameroff/

I was looking through some work that you have done previously on the role
that the quantum properties of microtubules play in consciousness (?).
(Maybe you are not positing a role in consciousness for microtubules, but
your coauthors seem to be suggesting it.) Myself I've never understood how
this can play much of a role in anything that is unique to human
consciousness or even primates near-consciousness since most other organisms
with neurons (i.e. birds, reptiles, amphibians, and invertebrates) also have
very similar microtubules.

Just wondering since your sort of posting on this list right now. If you
don't have time don't worry about it.

Take care,
-ben houston
http://www.exocortex.org/~ben